History

Multicultural Family Center History

HOW WE GOT HERE AND WHERE WE'RE GOING NEXT

While it’s important for any organization to speak to its past, we’re even more excited about what lies ahead—both for the Multicultural Family Center (MFC) and for our community.

On July 9, 2005, we began as a grassroots organization that met in a storefront at 1340 White Street. Eventually, a strategic decision was made to align more closely with the City of Dubuque.  As part of the formation of this public/private partnership, we moved to a City-owned space at 1157 Central Avenue on September 15, 2009.  Our home, which includes a kitchen, breakfast bar, fireplace, family room, multi-purpose classroom, computer lab, language-learning lab, conference room and offices, received the 365 Impact Award for “Best Social Space” in March of 2014.

Our partnership with the City has allowed us to evolve as a nonprofit organization in many other important ways, solidifying our sense of purpose as we move forward.